It’s been quite a year. Surely 2021 has to be better than 2020, right? Well, just in case, here are 20 ways to practice self-care in 2021:
1. Unfollow/block accounts on social media that bring you down rather than build you up. There’s a lot of negativity online, but there’s a lot of positivity as well! Find content that brings you joy.
2. Cook something delicious for yourself. Not hungry? Cook something for someone else!
3. Pray. God never gets sick of hearing from you!
4. Spend time with family and loved ones. In this time of social distancing, there are a plethora of ways to communicate face-to-face without putting yourself or others at risk. God bless Zoom and FaceTime!
5. Take a hot shower or bath. Pro tip: Bath bombs can turn a normal old bath into a luxurious experience full of color and blissful smells. You can also throw in some Epsom salt to help relieve muscle tension.
6. Hydrate! Medical professionals recommend consuming eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day. Dehydration can cause dry mouth, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, lightheadedness, weakness, and more.
7. Play with a pet. Don’t have your own furry friend? Ask to spend time with a friend or loved one’s pet, or volunteer at your local animal shelter. Playing/cuddling a pet can release feel-good chemicals in the brain such as dopamine and oxytocin that trigger pleasure and happiness.
8. Meditate. Sloowwwwww down. Focus on your breathing. Relax your muscles and get in tune with your mind and body. There are lots of great apps such as the Calm app that can help you learn to meditate if meditation is new to you.
9. Count your blessings. Make a list of every single thing you are grateful for. This can be a humbling experience. You may realize that things are not quite as bad as they may seem.
10. Read the Bible. Find those bible verses that bring you comfort. Study them, pray about them, meditate over them.
11. Identify some goals. Sometimes life can seem pretty overwhelming. Creating a list of your life goals can help prioritize everything you want to get done and will make them seem much more manageable.
12. Learn how to say “no” a little more often. Do you struggle with biting off a little bit more than you can chew? People-pleasers can really struggle with this. Reduce your workload, prioritize your tasks, and manage your time as effectively as possible. Give yourself a break once in a while!
13. Help someone. Run an errand, shovel their driveway, surprise them with a meal. Doing something good for someone else can be extremely fulfilling.
14. Call an old friend. Catching up with that person you haven’t spoken to in a long time might be just what you (or they) need.
15. Take a walk. Already go on regular walks? Switch it up and find a new route or walking trail. Sometimes a change in scenery can make a big difference!
16. Visit a museum (online). Take in some of the world’s most incredible sights from the comfort of your home using Google’s Arts and Culture platform.
17. Play a new game. There are a lot of great mobile app games that you can play alone or with friends. Just search your App Store for games that interest you!
18. Read a good book. Can’t decide on a new book to read? Reread one of your old favorites.
19. Coloring isn’t just for kids! Ever heard of an adult coloring book? Look them up. They are life-changing!
20. Stay connected with your church family. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay connected with your fellow Broad Streeters on social media and subscribe to our email list so you don’t miss any news, announcements, or blogs!
So, what did we miss? What do you do to practice self-care?
-Written by Kyle Fox, BSPC Marketing & Communications Manager
Did you enjoy this blog post? Be sure to leave a comment and share the link with your friends on Facebook!